kayaking

kayaking
getting started...
Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.
-- Brad Henry

Monday, May 4, 2009


It is Monday morning-for me that means laundry, mopping, bathrooms, etc. I am not complaining, I love it when it is all done. but, I am a mover and a shaker, moving from one project to the next. I sat down to write this because my sweet daughter just brought me in a dandelion. "Because she loves me." The irony is that Saturday evening when Chris and I were working in the yard we both were saying how yucky those weeds looked and we needed to rid our yard of them. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." My daughter in her kindness saw it as a pretty flower and since I love flowers brought it to me. I have to ask who else out there thinks of these 'flowers' as weeds? Who else digs them up-or makes their children dig them up?

Or is Bethany right they are pretty in their own way- I am looking at this flower/weed (still undecided) and saying maybe it is simply the love behind her gift that has touched my heart more than the actual flower.

Gifts: The Best gifts truly do come in the strangest packages-even our weeds.

7 comments:

Tanner and Kristin said...

So cute! My girlies always bring me dandelions too. They love them and think they are beautiful. Beauty really is in the eyes of the beholder!

Lacy said...

You always have such inspiring posts! Thanks for uplifting thoughts.

things we love... said...

Oh man, if only we all had the sweetness of a child!! There are times when I have GLASSES of dandelions from Lai!! Little girls are so precious and thoughtful!!! Love you!!!

Missy said...

Currently I'm reading a book titled Dandelion Wine. It really is a book about summer and the feelings it evokes. I too despise dandelions, but since reading this I can't help but look at them and think summer. What would summers be without them . . . and the cute little kids that think they're beautiful. I used to work like mad to rid my yard of them. Now I keep a few around just to remind me of those summers that lasted forever when I was a kid.

Becki Madsen said...

So sweet! My kids just brought me some today too and I love it! It makes me smile and I realize the day will come when they won't bring me dandelions anymore. I cherish those moments! I think they are beautiful because my children think they are! Thanks for the great post!

stormee said...

I looked out yesterday into the pasture and there were like 100 just a blooming after 1 week ago weeding and feeding. Then we turne the water on and they all closed up and Gar was even like wooh, that was wierd. I hate weeds. But the kids love to bring flowers. You are the best Court. I need a postive attitude like yours. Love ya. Storm

Kelli said...

You're right Court, even a dandelion becomes wonderful when it is given with love from one of our kids! Although I still wish I could rid my yard of them completely! Maybe I'll think differently of them after reading this. I loved this post! Thanks!